Entire territory Home / Discover the area / Art and culture / Churches, baptisteries / Church of the Cappuccini in Scandiano

Church of the Cappuccini

In 1622, the Marquis Ottavio Thiene donated four biolche of land to the Capuchin friars to be used for building a church dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua with adjacent monastery.

Address and contacts

Viale San Francesco - 42019 Scandiano
Phone 0522 857534 - Monastery of the Capuchin Friars

Opening times

09:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
03:00 to 03:30 and after 05:00 p.m. (winter hours)
03:00 to 05:30 p.m. (summer hours)

Sunday and holidays
03:00 to 05:30 p.m.

How to get there


By car
From the A1 motorway Reggio Emilia exit, take the SS467 ring-road towards Scandiano-Sassuolo; from Modena, take the SS486 "Passo delle Radici" road towards Sassuolo, then at Veggia take the SS467 road towards Scandiano-Reggio Emilia.

By bus
bus service Seta

By train
There are local trains for Scandiano-Sassuolo which leave from Reggio Emilia Station.

Historical notes

The construction of the overall complex was completed in 1632 thanks to Lavinia Pio of Savoy, Marchioness of Scandiano.
Leading up to the church, a long tree-lined stone path holds the fourteen Stations of the Cross (Via Crucis) comprising small shrines with bas-reliefs in polychromatic stuccowork.

The building has a simple tripartite facade, with central rose window above the portal and surmounted by a pediment. Inside the church, the right-hand wall holds an impressive large oil painting by the well-known Emilian painter Giuseppe Barnaba (Carpi 1710 – Reggio Emilia 1796), known as Fra Stefano da Carpi. The painting, which depicts the exaltation of saints of the Minor Franciscan Order, was commissioned in 1774 in view of the Beatification of Father Lorenzo da Brindisi. Stylistically, it is inspired by the perspective, light, and chromatic solutions of 18th century Venetian painting, in particular Tiepolo.
The chapel of the high altar holds an exquisite wooden tabernacle by Fra Fedele da Scandiano in the form of a temple standing on small columns which, in turn, form niches which hold effigies of the saints to whom the church is dedicated, St. Anthony and St. Francis.