
Santi Pietro and Paolo Cathedral
Guastalla
Consecrated in 1575 by Cardinal Carlo Borromeo, Archbishop of Milan and brother-in-law of the Lord of Guastalla, the cathedral has undergone numerous alterations over the years that have altered its original appearance.
In 1671, the architect Antonio Vasconi designed the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, which was frescoed by the Bolognese artist Giovan Battista Bolognini.
Between 1841 and 1845, the architect Giuseppe Pollini Rizzardi oversaw a radical restoration: large windows were opened in the façade, round windows were added to the dome, and the 17th-century altars were replaced.
The terracotta and Verona marble flooring was renewed in 1889 with black and white marble inlays.
Inside, important works of art are preserved: the cedar statue of the Madonna del Castello, originating from the ancient fortress; the Madonna and Child (oil on canvas, c. 1620, Emilian school); St Joseph with the Infant Jesus by Gerolamo Degiovanni (polychrome wood, late 17th century); St Francis Receiving the Stigmata (oil on canvas, Cremonese school, late 16th century); the Madonna del Rosario (polychrome wood, 17th century); and The Baptism of Jesus by Gualdi.
Contacts
Piazza Giuseppe Mazzini - 42016 Guastalla (RE)
- +39 0522 839763 - Bassa Reggiana tourist information office