Photo: Fausto Franzosi
Photo: Fausto Franzosi

Timetable

To visit the Sanctuary or for information about the building’s history and accommodation for pilgrims, please call

+39 349 2143804

Built on the site of the city’s ancient southern gate, the Sanctuary houses the miraculous image of the Virgin Mary, painted in 1646 by Damiano Padovani.
The painting, which has been the subject of miracles and healings, inspired the construction of the church in 1693 at the behest of Duke Vincenzo Gonzaga, based on a design by the Reggio-born architect Prospero Mattioli.
The church, consecrated in 1709, is a fine example of Emilian Baroque.
The high altar with ciborium, created in 1702 by Antonio Ferraboschi and Michele Costa, is adorned with twisted columns and a multitude of angels.

In 1703, Pietro Oliva of Parma created the marble balustrade.
In the right-hand arm of the transept stands the altar of Saint Francis of Paola (1741), the work of Pietro Franzini.
The statues of the twelve prophets, sculpted by Giovanni Marini da Viadana, date from 1786.
Among the most significant works are the altar frontals in polychrome scagliola (17th century), a painted papier-mâché Pietà (18th century) and the miraculous fresco of the Blessed Virgin by Damiano Padovani.
The adjoining museum houses a large collection of votive offerings linked to popular devotion.

Contacts

Via Piave, 1 - 42016 Guastalla (RE)